January 4, 2016
I spent sometime today visiting the IRS website. On the opening page was tips on selecting a tax preparer.
Below are some tips taxpayers can keep in mind when selecting a tax professional:
- Select an ethical preparer.
- Ask about service fees.
- Be sure to use a preparer with a preparer tax identification number (PTIN).
- Research the preparer’s history.
- Ask for e-file.
- Provide tax records.
- Make sure the preparer is available after the filing due date.
- Review the tax return and ask questions before signing.
- Never sign a blank tax return.
- Preparers must sign the return and include their PTIN as required by law.
If you would like additional information please visit www.IRS.gov.